Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Tuesday, August 6th


Dear Friends, Sisters & Brothers – It’s Tuesday morning, the beginning of our last full day in Japan – it’s hard to believe, the time has gone by so quickly.  It’s 6AM and both Louis and I are wide awake so we just got up out of bed and turned on the lights.  We don’t have to meet the others until 8:30AM for breakfast yet our bodies won’t allow us the luxury of sleeping in late when we have the opportunity.
            It has been such a blessing to serve on this mission.  Before coming over here I was concerned that my lack of Japanese language skills would cause me to miss out on a lot of conversations and make me an outsider to much of what occurred here.  Seven of our team members are bilingual – allowing us to interact so much more with the people of Chino than I have witnessed with the first two missions I served on.  And of the three of us who are not bilingual, Diane knows a great deal of Japanese and is able to communicate if not converse at all times.  And Monica has learned more and more Japanese each year and makes a great effort to use the language she has learned.  She is fearless in speaking and learns quickly from the corrections given to her.  I appreciate all the team members for interpreting and translating for me when I have asked them.  Their patience with me made my experience this year so much more blessed than I think any of them may know – Thank you, thank you, thank you.   In past missions I knew most of the team members before we began preparations since we were all from the San Fernando church.  This year there were six members of the Chino team from South Bay Japanese Christian Fellowship – and the only one I knew from before was Tsuguru.  So again, I was concerned that I might again be the outsider to all these people who knew each other from before.  But I have been overwhelmed by their friendship, generosity, and especially their love.  My heart is so deeply touched by them all as my eyes began to water right now.  I should not be surprised, but this team was very close to one another and much of the credit goes to the South Bay people – but of course great thanks go to our loving God.  I was always confident that the activities would go well, everyone put in so much time and effort into the preparations and we had so much prayer support as with all of our previous missions.  And I knew that the team members would do a great job – the team members whom God called to be on this mission were wonderful people, carefully chosen by God for their skills and talents that would blend to serve the people of Chino, to serve their fellow team members, and to serve God with excellence.  But I have been most impressed by the depth of God’s love in each of the team members.  It has been clearly evident as they have interacted with the children who attended EEC along with their parents, and it has been so well expressed in their interactions with the people of the Chino church.  When we return home, it will pain me to no longer be in the daily presence of these wonderful team members – these dear brothers and sisters will always be embedded within my heart.
            And I want to thank all of you for your financial and prayer support.  Without that support, none of this is possible.  I’ve heard other people say that when they serve on missions, that they take all of their supporters with them as they serve.  All of our brothers and sisters in Christ help mold us into the people we are.  Your friendship, grace, and especially your love has been used by God to make us better people than we could ever hope to be by our own efforts alone.  I could keep writing for hours and hours, but I think I’ll take a break for now.  Again, thank you so, so much for your love and support.  God bless you all.        

No comments:

Post a Comment