Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Wednesday, August 7th


Dear Friends, Sisters and Brothers – It is now 5:30AM Wednesday morning, our last day in Japan – our departure time is after 7PM tonight.  Again I’m wide awake when I can be sleeping in, so I’ve decided to get out of bed and write to you one last time from Japan.  Being in Tokyo is a great adventure of seeing new and different things and trying to make myself understood while only speaking English.  We visited the Edo-Tokyo museum which shows displays depicting Tokyo from it’s earliest days.  I could’ve spent more time there to read all the captions for the displays and to try and take in more of Japan’s history – but this was a good start, very informative.  We also spent a lot of time wandering through stores to shop for omiyage (thank you gifts), to bring back for our loved ones.  It is fun to window shop and to compare the stores with those in the U.S. - but I most enjoy trying to find things that will help express my thanks and my love for those who supported me for this mission.  A very generous gift from my parents allows me to buy things without having to stick to a strict budget for spending.  Last night after dinner, the young ones wanted to visit the Akihabara area of Tokyo.  This shopping district is known for being a center for Anime books and memorabilia.  They went along with a friend of Tsuguru’s who he met on a mission to Japan last year with the Holiness church youth choir.  Shizuka and I acted as chaperones for their excursion.  At a couple of the stores, I waited outside to enjoy watching people and to just reflect upon our trip to Japan.  Sitting there watching hundreds of people walk by me, I was struck by how different this experience was from being in Chino.  Being in Chino was a slight taste of Heaven – and I’m not exaggerating.  I think of the times I have mixed cookie dough batter for my wife, Janis, and have used my finger to scoop out a small sample of dough.  Although not even baked, it is very tasty and gives a glimpse of the sweetness that will soon come out of the oven.  Being with our brothers and sisters in Chino offered us a very small glimpse of what we can look forward to when we are called home by God.  Being in Tokyo, where I am surrounded by millions of people, I felt very much alone on that sidewalk.  I’m sure all of you have experienced this at times – but it was all the more evident to me because of how crowded Tokyo can be in the shopping and business districts and while riding on their subway and train systems.  How do we share the experiences of Chino with the people of Tokyo and throughout Japan?
            Yesterday was the 68th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima.  Before going to breakfast, Louis and I were watching some of the ceremonies to remember this horrible tragedy and to honor the victims.  It is a reminder of the horrific pain people can inflict upon each other.  It is a reminder of the choices available to all of us – relying upon man’s lack of wisdom and lack of humanity or relying upon the truth and love of our compassionate and gracious Heavenly Father.  
I’m starting to get sleepy now and am having trouble thinking and writing – I think I’ll get a little catnap in before breakfast.  In case this is my last post from Japan, I want to thank everyone who took time to read these messages.  I hope they gave you a glimpse into what our mission has been like.  It would take hours to thank everyone properly for your support – your generosity and love are appreciated far more than you may realize.  Make sure to talk with all the team members when you get the opportunity.  I’m sure our experiences and recollections will all be different and unique.  God bless you all as we have been blessed in Japan.                 

No comments:

Post a Comment