Sunday, August 18, 2013

Don's Recollections from Chino

   On Sunday morning, I shared with the San Fernando Holiness Church some of my thoughts about the recent mission to Chino, Japan.  This is what I intended to share before abandoning my script.

                     Good morning.  It’s a great blessing to be able to share with you this morning about our recent mission to Chino.  First of all, thank you for your support, both prayer and financial, that made this trip so blessed.  Your financial support allows us to focus on the planning of our sharing and the programs we will be involved in without the stress of having to raise funds.  And it is your prayers that help us prepare for the mission and allows the Holy Spirit to guide and sustain us while we are in Japan.

                  This was my third trip to Chino, having gone in 2009 and 2010.  The passage of four years since first going allows me to see some of the changes that have occurred in this mission.  When I first went, I believe there were about 50 children attending - this year there were 70 with some more on a waiting list.  The Chino church members have become more plentiful in helping out with EEC, their VBS-style program that is at the heart of our service to the Chino church - and they have become much more active in their participation.  The MEBIG program - a type of Sunday School session before the worship service has grown in size and the manner in which it is presented.  The leader is a young woman, not that dissimilar to our own Amy Nagatoshi, who is in charge of our KidVenture program, and she is a ball of energy.  What a great role model for the children with a servant’s heart for reaching out to them.  We were invited into the homes of church members twice this trip for dinner.  I had never been in anyone’s home on either of my prior trips.  What gracious and generous hosts they were to invite so many of us into their homes.  Team members were also invited into one of the member’s home for a calligraphy lesson.  This woman actually teaches calligraphy and her home is set up to conduct classes.  She had samples of hers and her husband’s artwork on the walls of their home.  But the biggest change that I see is the quality of the time spent with the members of the Chino church.  More than just bringing us meals and transporting us around town, it is the time spent with them in conversation, sharing meals, bathing at the onsen, and activities like playing with fireworks that will always be deep within my heart. 
                  We have also seen the growth of our team to include South Bay Japanese Christian Fellowship.  Last year there were four team members from South Bay and this year there were six - over half of the Chino team.  I thought this might mean that I would be more of an outsider to this team, but I was very wrong.  Just as with other teams I served on, we became very cohesive and very close.  I would gladly serve with this identical team again.  The hard part is that I won’t see six of the team members very often in the future - unlike when the entire team came from San Fernando. 
                  What is in store for the future relationship between San Fernando, South Bay, and Chino Christ Church?  My guess is that Kawano-sensei will want to continue this program and this partnership for some time to come - it seems to have been successful so far.  And with the certification from the Chino Education Department, it allows for even greater publicity for the EEC program, directly to students in Chino’s public schools.  This certification reminds me of the growth in the ZOE ministry in Thailand, and the opening of doors in our service to Montague and Sara Coughlin elementary schools.  While we were there this year, a pastor from a church in Sendai (the region hard hit by the tsunamis) came with his family to observe and participate in the EEC program.  He hopes to begin a similar program next year after talking with Kagiwada-sensei, who started this program six years ago, while he was the nichigo-pastor here at San Fernando.  So this modest program has seen growth each year in Chino and is possibly the model for a similar program elsewhere in Japan.  I don’t know if anyone could foresee this when we first went to Chino in 2007. 
                  With such a rosy picture for this mission’s future, what are you going to do?  First of all, I ask for your continued prayer support.  There are things that occur that are not because of our talents or desires.  They happen because God has placed us there and has prepared our hearts and the hearts of the Japanese people for that occasion.  Your prayers ensure that our minds are unburdened by the world’s woes, our hearts are focused upon God alone and not our own selfish desires, and our bodies are rested and free from illness or aches that bring our focus back to ourselves.  And your generous financial support year after year has been fundamental to sending a team these past seven years. 
                  But more than thinking about your support for future teams, I want you to give serious consideration to going to Chino.  We have a church full of people who would be fantastic ambassadors for Jesus.  We need young people, full of energy to match that of the children who come to EEC.  We need mature people with the life experiences and the Christian experiences to share with the Chino church members - and not just the super-Christians.  On the last Sunday we were in Chino, a member who came to our parent workshop and brought her young son to EEC and helped out with the pre-k group, gave me a warm hug as she left the service and said good-bye.  I thought it was just my radiant personality that charmed her, but I later learned that she had been away from the church for a while and had recently returned.  My sharing at the first Sunday service we were there, was about the Prodigal Son and my own return to the church.  I assume that was part of the reason for the hug.  But it wasn’t my perfect life that connected with her - it was the real-life experiences that we all share with one another as forgiven sinners.  You never know who is going to connect with your story - and I know that we all have a compelling story to share with others. 
                  There will always be reasons and excuses for not going and serving on a mission.  Probably all of them are valid and reasonable.  But the thing you have to ask yourself is, “Does God want me to go?”  “Is God calling me to serve Him?”  Those are the most important questions of all.  I would love to see all of us go to Chino and have the blessing of serving our Lord and Savior, and to receive the abundance of blessings that all the team members in the past have received - but I will settle for ten of you next year.  Will you be one of those ten?  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment